Admission for current Stanford doctoral or professional school students

Formal application to the M.A. program for current Stanford doctoral or professional school students is not required. Stanford students who wish to add the M.A. in Political Science must:

  1. Complete the M.A. Course Plan and submit it to Jennifer Radley (jradley [at] in person in Room 100, Encina Hall West. Please note that a SUNet ID is required to access this form.
  2. Submit the Graduate Authorization Petition through Axess.
  3. After all the requirements for the masters have been completed submit the Master's Program Proposal to Jennifer Radley by email (jradley [at] or in person in Room 100, Ground Floor of Encina Hall West.
  4. Apply to graduate (in Axess, before the quarterly deadline) in the quarter you wish to confer the degree. The degree is not conferred automatically.

The department does not offer a coterminal master's degree.

How to Submit a Grad Auth Petition through Axess ​:

  1. Log into Axess, and go to Student tab.
  2. In Academics section, click on drop down menu and select “Petitions and Forms.”
  3. Select Petition “Graduate Program Authorization Petition.”
  4. Complete the petition.
    1. Select effective term.
    2. Select joint degree only if participating in a Stanford joint degree program.
    3. Select new academic program. Click the look up icon to identify the program and plan.

A $125 petition fee is assessed for submitting the Graduate Program Authorization petition.