How to Apply
The admissions application is accessible through the Office of Graduate Admissions. A complete application consists of the following documentation:
- Stanford online application including statement of purpose
- At least three letters of recommendation
- Unofficial transcripts from each institution you attended for at least one year (Official transcripts are not required at the time of application. If you are offered admission to Stanford and accept the offer, you will be required to submit official transcripts that show your degree conferral.)
- General GRE and TOEFL scores reported directly to Stanford (code 4704) - Learn more about these test requirements. GRE scores are required for the Fall 2021 admissions cycle. We will accept results from the ETS home tests.
- Writing Sample: a recent scholarly or critical paper (20-35 pages, double-spaced). Applicants may submit two or three shorter samples if they do not have a long one. Writing samples must be written in English.
- CV/resume (optional but recommended)
- Application fee of $125. Information on Graduate Fee Waivers is available here.
Please refer to the FAQ for Prospective Students and the Office of Graduate Admissions Frequently Asked Questions for additional information on the application process and requirements.
December 1, 2020 at 11:59 Pacific Standard Time. Unfortunately we are not able to accept late applications.