Undergraduate Major Advising

Students must select a faculty advisor in order to declare the Political Science major.

How can I find an advisor?

  • Consider asking professors whose classes you've taken in the past.
  • Research potential advisors' research interests online.
  • Email one or two professors to request an appointment to discuss potential advising.
  • Feel free to reach out to adavido [at] stanford.edu (Alex Davidovich), the Undergraduate Student Services Officer, and to the peer advisors for suggestions and advice.

Who can be an advisor?

Political Science faculty and courtesy faculty (non-lecturers) may serve as major advisors.

When do I need to select an advisor?

You should select an advisor as part of the major declaration process. Your advisor must sign your major declaration form before it can be approved.

Can I change my advisor?

It is beneficial for you to establish and maintain a good relationship with your advisor. However, you can change your advisor at any time. Notify adavido [at] stanford.edu (Alex Davidovich) to make the change official.

How often should I meet with my advisor?

While you should meet with your advisor in person as part of the major declaration process, after you're officially a Political Science major, the frequency of your advising meetings is up to you. Many students talk with their advisors about courses, summer opportunities, research, and post-graduation plans. Advisors may also oversee directed readings and serve as resources for class research papers.

Advisors can provide suggestions for course planning, but they will not review your Political Science degree progress. For that, please contact adavido [at] stanford.edu (Alex Davidovich) or make an appointment.